Aug 28 2006
Things to remember about Katrina:
(1) Bush pleaded and begged Nagin and Blanco for days to evacuate New Orleans, which they did too late to meet the requirements established in the New Orleans disaster plan.
(2) Nagin and Blanco tossed out their hurricane/flood disaster plan that they submitted and coordinated with FEAM, throwing the entire response effort into a shoot-from-the-hip scamper. This should be a criminal act on the part of state authorities because the Feds pre-position supplies and resources in accordance with the established plans.
(3) Nagin and Blanco did not want to use their local resources to assist their people (like school buses) instead the tried to get things done on the cheap by asking the Feds – who were dealing with hundreds of miles of coastline and tens of thousands of people – to get them air conditioned busses throught the storm ravaged areas.
(4) When the levies broke the day after the storm came through Nagin and Blanco did not react during the 24 hours the city SLOWLY flooded. That left thousands of people stranded in the center of New Orleans and it left Red Cross supplies a few miles away without authorization to come into the city.
(5) The levies that failed were on canals inside the city and these levies were the responsibility of New Orleans and Louisianna – not the Feds. The levies failed because, like the entire region, New Orleans is sinking. The city and state have known about this sinking problem for decades. Therefore they city and state should have been surveying the levies to make sure they were still at the same height relative to sea level required to deal with a hurrican surge. They were not, and that is not Bush’s fault, that is the fault of local governments who get millions of dollars in flood control support every year and couldn’t afford a simple surveying effort.
If you remember these five established facts, all media’s biased and uneducated reporting will come into sharp focus. Because they will not report all these facts together. It paints too strong a picture against Nagin and Blanco and his too helpful to Bush’s image. This is not about saving lives, this is about propaganda.