May 12 2009
Update: Oh pulleeaze! The liberal Democrats who wanted a witch hunt into the CIA and its interrogation efforts to save this country from attack should have known they were treading on thin ice AND would pay a huge price for being wrong if America sided with the CIA and President Bush. Now the Dems are whining that the CIA is out to get them because their witch hunt is not going as planned (H/T reader Neo):
Democrats charged Tuesday that the CIA has released documents about congressional briefings on harsh interrogation techniques in order to deflect attention and blame away from itself.Â
â€œI think there is so much embarrassment in some quarters [of the CIA] that people are going to try to shift some of the responsibility to others â€” thatâ€™s what I think,â€ said Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), who sat on the Senate Intelligence Committee and was briefed on interrogation techniques five times between 2006 and 2007.Â
Oh, like shifting the attention to those legally responsible for OVERSIGHT, who were BRIEFED on the matter regularly, who could have raised objections? Shifting blame to the Congress who is ultimately responsible along with the administration! How dare the CIA share the experience with those who ALLOWED the interrogations to proceed. – end update
Well, the Democrats chicken’s are coming home to roost! Nancy Pelosi will be investigated by CongressÂ in order to understand when she (or her staff) were briefed on extreme interrogation methods (including water boarding) as applied to al Qaeda operatives who provided actionable intelligence that stopped 9-11 like attacks on LA and possible elsewhere:
he House majority leader reluctantly agreed Tuesday that congressional hearings should investigate Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s assertion that she wasn’t informed, more than six years ago, that harsh interrogation methods were used on an al-Qaida leader.
Rep. Steny Hoyer, D-Md., called Republican challenges to Pelosi’s assertion a diversion from the real question of whether the Bush administration tortured terrorist suspects. Nonetheless, he acknowledged the controversy should be resolved.
Democrats will hold a series of hearings on Justice Department memos released last month that justified rough tactics against detainees, including waterboarding â€” simulated drowning â€” and sleep deprivation.
The interrogation methods produced results after all other forms of questioning had been tried. Â And as I mentioned earlier, the smoking gun lies in the Speaker office files where she and her staff note briefings and internal meetings subjects, as well as any internal reports.
Pelosi is about to face some tough questions about what she knew, when – and probably why she lied the American people about it. Personally, I don’t think she can survive this kind of scrutiny. Should know by next year. Recently I speculated on the general nature of what was said to between Pelosi9/Congress and the CIA, Â including her probable responses:
- CIA: We think these guys know something, but they arenâ€™t giving up details. Could be another 9-11. We have these options, what do you think
- Congress/Pelosi: Damn! Looks like a good lead. Did you try all other options?
- CIA: Yeah, got some strong hints. But nothing we can act on. Last option, make his body think he is drowning.
- Congress/Pelosi: Will it produce results? Will it save AmericanÂ lives?
- CIA: Most definitely.
- Congress/Pelosi: Do it – report back.
This is the permission phase. Next comes the result phase:
- CIA: You would not believe what we learned once we put him/them through the procedure. We discovered a 2nd 9-11 plot (maybe more). It was aimed at LA.
- Congress/Pelosi: Do we have suspects, can we stop the attack?
- CIA: Yes and we believe we can.
- CIA: Yep, we got them and stopped another 9-11. We have more indications of possible attack, what do you propose?
- Congress/Pelosi: Thank God – those are my neighbors down in southern CA. I cannot thank you enough. Yes, we need to know what else is in the works. Please continue your efforts.
I stand by that prediction (in general terms).Â And soon we shall know for sure.